Sunday, June 17, 2007

how to cook "The Grocery Run"

I came up with this recipe on a whim as I was trying to figure out how to clean out the fridge and make dinner at the same time. What I ended up coming up with tasted a lot better than I thought it would so I wrote down what I had done.

I call this "The Grocery Run" because I made it out of the random bits that I had in the fridge about 2 weeks after I should have gone to the grocery store. Its also called that because it would generally take a grocery store run to get half of the things on that list. Most of those ingredients were around only so I could make something else that hadn't used them all up.

Ingredients
3 eggs
fresh rosemary
1 green pepper
Romano cheese
flat bread
soy milk (or normal milk might work)
pepperoni
olive oil
garlic

-----------------------

Mince or crush garlic. Sauté the green peppers in a little olive oil and add the garlic just before they are done. Add the pepperoni to the green peppers and garlic. Toss a few times and let simmer on low heat.

In a larger pan scramble the three eggs. While they are still runny add a little soy milk and mix in. Add the green pepper / garlic / pepperoni mix to the eggs and continue to cook at medium heat. Sprinkle the fresh ground rosemary onto the eggs. Continue to toss or stir the eggs to mix ingredients. Add the cheese and a little more rosemary.

Once the eggs are cooked but not browned, add more milk. This milk won't be absorbed by the eggs. When I did it, it sat in the bottom of th pan and started to boil a lot like how you would reduce a sauce. Stir and cook till the milk is no longer visible.

Take the flat bread and place it on top of the entire mixture. Cover the pan and let the whole thing simmer for about a minute or until the flat bread is warm and soft. Take the flat bread off of the top and place it on the serving plate. Move the egg concoction onto the flat bread and enjoy.


Lesson Learned : Leftovers aren't always extra portions of something you've prepared.

No comments: